1 cup butternut squash cubes (2cm)
2 spring onions, chopped (half a white or red onion will do as well)
a handful of grapes (preferable seedless; black grapes look beautiful, white will do as well)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
a few cubes of feta cheese
a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
rosemary – don’t skimp here. (30ml chopped fresh or 15ml dry)
Roasting brings out the sweetness of the butternut and the slight acidity of the grapes, which goes quite well with most meat dishes, especially pork.
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC (375ºF)
2. Soften the butternut cubes in the micro for about 3 minutes or fry them slightly in15-30 ml olive oil
3. Add butternut, grapes, chopped onion and chopped rosemary to an oven-proof dish, drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat
4. Season with salt and a liberal dose of freshly ground black pepper
5. Roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring once or twice, till the butternut is soft throughout and nicely caramelized.
6. Add the cubes of (or crumbled) Feta cheese halfway through
7. Serve hot as a side dish or even as a light vegetarian meal, adding blanched fine green beans or fresh rocket.
Next time I’ll try it with Secuan pepper
Or even a dash of chilli!